Sunday, January 6, 2008

Puppies & Kittens.....Oh My!!!

Of course I've got a lot of those one liner emails "I suppose you'd eat dogs and cats too!" Naturally I smirk when I get these and it's really not worth the time addressing it, but what the heck :)

First off, dogs and cat's really ARE pet's. They are not livestock, never have been, never will be. I am not confusing a 1200 pound horse (Livestock!) with a 20 pound lap dog (Pet!).....

Second, dogs and cat's have never been food in America. Yes, the horses carried us into battle, plowed our fields and took Granny to the doctor.....but when those horses were injured or became unusable, guess what? Most became food......Like I've said before, you won't see that on "Little House On The Prairie" but it happened. A brief Internet search through history can confirm that for you.....

I do find it a shame that millions of dogs and cats are euthanized every year due to lack of owner responsibility and just dumped into landfills or cremated....Yes, I do wish we could come up with some kind of use for all of this unnecessary death.

No, I'm not suggesting a new addition to the menu.....that would be more than even I could stomach.....but isn't it a much sadder world that this is going on without much relief in sight while something that is considered livestock is taking such a beating???

Another interesting fact for you.....horse slaughter for human consumption in the USA is illegal....we all know it has to be shipped overseas....but consumption of horse meat in the USA is NOT illegal. Horse meat dishes can still be found here in the USA in a few of the elite restaurants. Thus even further blasting out the "Americans don't eat horse" BS.

No, I'm not going to name the places where you can go enjoy a nice horse steak....they aren't places that the average middle income family will ever walk into anyway.....and I'm certainly not going to cause more grief.

The Internet is also a wonderful thing. If you get the hankering for a nice sweet horse steak then with the click of a few buttons and a credit card you can have it shipped right to your door. So anyone on the fence, I suggest you try it before you knock it. With the ever increase of our beef, I find it a shame it's not readily available for everyone to enjoy.

No comments: