Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Think Globally, Act Locally.....

Someone sent me an email with these words in it "Think Globally, Act Locally". This person "gets it". Even though they don't necessarily agree with some of my views, we definitely have an understanding on this.

If you act locally, worry about what is in your own back yard, do what you can do and move on, it would have a global effect.

Critters have been on this planet for thousands of years. Most managed quite well without us. Some were used for work, most were used as food, very few were used for companionship. Do people not realize all these changes have came about in basically the last 100 years? Really, what makes it ok to eat a cow, chicken, hog or even a fish any different than a horse?

Anyone who has ever actually WATCHED the slaughter process of ANY animal can figure out in about 5 seconds that they all show terror for those few seconds before the axe comes. We used to raise Ostriches.....I can tell you right now that is NOT one happy bird when they get on the trailer to be slaughtered. I had 6 in the trailer once and I looked like a drunk driver going down the road with all the fishtailing from the "unhappy" birds.

We used to have HORSEMAN in this world....now we have a bunch of horse owners. Especially since any idiot can own a horse now for $20, or less. We have "rescues" popping up over night, people begging for money to care for these horse and rescue more. Where does it end? The good rescues are packed full and the shit hole rescues that might as well be hoarders are going to all need saving soon.

You can scream owner responsibility all you want, but the cold hard facts are it ain't gonna happen any time soon. If it was happening then we wouldn't have to put to sleep 192,308 dog/cats per week or 27,473 every day......or 1 every 4 seconds......

I don't understand why a lot of these PETA type people, who think they are doing so much good, do not realize how badly they are hurting the horses they say they love so much.

Some people want to blame everything on the economy...well I'm not buying into that either. I remember the summer that I was 11 years old. I worked all summer to buy a filly I had fallen head over heels for. 4 year old, green broke, papers, but nothing really special. She was $900.

When I was 11 Carter was in office. Am I the only one even at the ripe old age of 11 that remembers how our economy was then? Mortgage rates at an all time high. The job market sucked. But this filly was still $900 bucks. Now I could buy 9 just like her with that $900.

People can sit at a desk and write "white paper" articles and stuff all day long. Heck I could do that myself. Does that make everything true, or anything for that matter? I hardly think so.

We are at a FIRST time right now where the USA hasn't seen horse slaughter. There's not a soul out there who can say what is to come and what will happen. All I know is that the plants are closed, abuse and neglect seem to be on every corner and getting worse, and horses are a dollar a dozen. And I don't think it has a thing (for the most part) to do with the economy.

I'm not a horse hater, I'm a realist. And it makes me mad to see an industry that I was once proud of being a part of crumble to the ground. If horses had to be treated like the livestock that they are to keep a descent price on a horses head, then so be it.

If people would tend to their own back yards and stay out of other peoples it would make a world of difference that I think we could all live with.

No comments: